Saturday, September 4, 2010

Erin Louise Fashion Show

Hello everyone!



Time for a photo update and some thoughts about the experience of shooting a fashion show. On the 26th of August, I had an opportunity to cover a fashion event for Erin Louise. It was my first time photographing a fashion show and I was a bit nervous that my photos wouldn't turn out properly. Knowing the limits to my camera and how it couldn't handle low light was my main concern. I was thinking of buying a new camera altogether or at least hiring one for the show (pity there are no places that hire out Sony DSLRs - one downside to investing in this system). Instead I bought a new lens, the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II hoping it would be enough to cover the range and low light conditions. In the end, I was shooting with ISO 400-800 with my flash and the f2.8 of the lens which helped with a complete two stop advantage if I were using my Minolta 70-300mm. It was great that Marione was able to come and cover the event with me. Her camera was more capable than mine and she also had the same lens as me so that helped her a lot too.

The show was only about 2 hours long with a couple of performers singing a few covers and original songs. A random song they sang was No Diggity by Blackstreet which was cool and unexpected. Nonetheless, they sang it well. There were four photographers at this show, myself and Marione included and we all covered different angles and ranges. Shooting at a fashion show was a great first time experience where we made new contacts and had the chance to use our cameras with our new lens combos. Overall, we were both happy with our photos and how the night turned out.

A few things that I think will be helpful when shooting a fashion show:
- Using a 70-200mm f2.8 lens will help to cover your telephoto range in low light. Prime lenses would be even better for light but you don't get the flexibility of the zoom so there's your trade off.
- A wide angle lens with a f2.8 or larger is useful to cover unique shots.
- A flash with spare batteries.
- A camera that is capable of producing acceptable high ISO if flash is not allowed.
- Bring a monopod to support heavy lenses like the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. Hand holding this lens will give you a sore arm. I say monopod because its more versatile than a tripod.
- Use a fast shutter speed to get a sharp photo but not too fast or else you'll end up sacrificing ambient light.
- Get there early to find a good vantage point of the runway.
- Memory cards!

That's all I can think of for now and I shall leave you with a few photos that I took throughout the night.

Thanks for reading! =.)





















No comments:

Post a Comment